Tuesday, October 30, 2012

National No Writing Month




Did I use that one last year or did I just think about using it? I suppose I could look it up. It wouldn’t even take that much effort. But whatever. This is a writer’s blog so I suppose there should be the occasional post about, what’s it called, writing, and I figured with November looming two days away, this was the perfect time to do it.

So are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? I’m not, although I planned to. I got bitten by the writing bug back in September and it was strong enough that I didn’t want to wait almost two months. I suppose you could say I completed my own personal NaNo. Although I won’t be able to flash the badge, I’ll be flashing one in spirit.

Wait. That somehow sounds wrong.

Anyway, keep remembering that it’s about quantity, not quality, and no one has to hear about it again after November 30th (which is what happened to my last NaNo piece, by the way). It is an exercise of discipline. If you fail? Don’t freak out about it. Sometimes the writing stars align and sometimes they don’t. Either way, I think we can all agree that no NaNo books are readable come December.

What are your tips for National Novel Writing Month? Are you participating or marveling at it from the sidelines?

PS. Happy day before Halloween! Don’t let the Slenderman get you!

Seriously. He’s coming.

5 comments:

  1. I am participating in NaNoWriMo. I just looked at what I wrote last year for NaNo and though I did hit the 50k mark, it was a truly terrible piece of writing. Hope to do better this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... none are readable come December? That sounds like a challenge to me. But for next year. I have something I have to finish this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. National No Writing Month? I think I've been participating in that one for the past six months!

    I've been writing almost all my life and published for the past 24 years. I've never participated in NaNoWriMo and almst certainly never will....

    ReplyDelete
  4. NaNo works for those that write like that. I must plot. And plan. And work slowly. I can't do the mad rush that NaNo requires, so I don't.

    Maybe someday I'll learn to turn off the inner editor. But then again, I don't think I'd be able to do NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not. Academics take up a lot of my time in November, and the mad rush, as Liz puts it, wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.