Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Distractions, Distractions



This may surprise you, but it’s a choose your own adventure game. It’s a short story called Thousand Dollar Soul, made into a flash for Newgrounds (it’s what is referred to as “interactive fiction” : ). It’s about a high school kid named Todd who’s visited by a future version of himself, who came back, ostensibly, to help Todd change his life. But, depending on your choices, you might start to wonder about Future Todd’s motivations.

You can go through it as many times as you want. In fact, you should go through it more than once as the only way to learn about what’s really happening is to piece together what you learn from the different paths. There are 35 endings in total and a handy list to check which ones you’ve gotten.

Over all, it’s a fun experience. It’s my kind of story: one you have to think about and discuss in order to comprehend completely. One final warning: it’s a bit violent. But I still recommend it as an interesting read.

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading "Choose Your Own Adventure" books as a kid and absolutely loved them. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun with those books too; I'll check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Choose Your Own Adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.