Monday, March 21, 2011

Oi, It's Tough

Whew. What a stressful weekend. And I think this week is going to be a tough one, too! So this post is going to be short before I start whining and complaining, which is no fun for anyone.

I'm still in the midst of editing, and I feel a little lost in it. There's so much to be done, but I'm not really sure what. I have a general idea, but when I start reading it, it all seems okay to me--I'm too in love with my own writing, that's for sure. It's a bit troublesome when there are serious issues with your writing but you can't see them.

Have you ever felt that way? What do you do when you're stuck?

11 comments:

  1. That is a rough one. Yes, I know where you are in the process, but I don't know how you can dig yourself out of the quagmire. You need an editing buddy, who knows you and what you can do, but can be brutal. If you find one, send us all the name & number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep, that is a toughy. Have you put it aside for a bit to gain perspective? Have you had other people read it and show you anywhere they feel could be improved?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Colene--put it away for a bit. Sometimes a little time away can give you much of the perspective you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I third that. Put it away for awhile, and come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that editing goes down smoother with a little Jack Daniels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having someone else read it would help. I also feel like I am too in love with my book, so my eyes are clouded by that so I can't see what needs to be changed. Having another opinion always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time and distance can do wonders. Don't be afraid to step back for a little bit -- it will still be there when you come back to it, only clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go out with my girlfriends and forget about writing for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I know the feeling. Last night I "edited" and added 1000 words :( I'm trying to CUT words here. But I did have to write a new scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I give it time.

    This weekend I had some ah-ha moments concerning a wip I'd put on the backburner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had to take a break and then come back to it. I'm in the midst of revisions right now, too. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.